The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
What is a creative mind?
The English word mind doesn’t say anything
- Because it’s just one generic word,which does not describe different dimensions of what the mind is. Mind is not just one something sitting here and doing something. There is really no such thing as mind.
- In the yogic culture, there is no mind. There is a physical body, there is a mental body because what you are calling as mind right now is a certain combination of memory and intelligence. There is memory in your body,more memory in your body than you can imagine. ‘
- You definitely don’t remember how your great-great-great-great-great-grandmother looked like but her nose is sitting on your face right now. You don’t remember a thing consciously but your body remembers one hundred percent. How ten generations ago, your grandmother or grandfather was, your body still remembers.A million years ago, how your forefathers were, your… still your body remembers . It’s not forgotten and it’s not going to forget.
- Your mind is not capable of this kind of memory. Your body has a trillion times more memory than your so-called brain. This memory is stored in the microtubules of your cell. This whole shift towards the brain and intellectual processis a European malaise. They gave too much significance to thought. This has happened because they lived under a subjugated society, religiously subjugated society where you are not supposed to think anything except what’s written in some book, otherwise you are dead. They lived like this for a longtime. Because of this, when they got little freedom to think and managed to live, they started celebrating their thought too much.
- Let’s understand the context of thought. You can only think from the data that you already have gathered. That means you can never think anything new. You can recycle it, you can rehash it, you can produce permutations and combinations of it but you cannot think something absolutely new. It is not in the nature of the thought to come up with something new. It can only recycle the past. That means if you dedicate yourself to your thought process,if you enshrine your thought process,you are ensuring nothing new ever happens in your life. So thought need not be celebrated like this. That’s why in Vedic culture, thought is never been given so much significance. What you think is your psychological drama. We don’t think much about that because it’s your drama. Your drama is important for you, somebody else’s drama, it’s important for them, everybody thinks their drama is the most important drama in the universe. This is everybody’s experience because they are so identified with their own psychological drama. This psychological drama should not determine the nature of your life because this is just a small happening compared to the life process. Life is a much deeper intelligence than intellect.
- The yogic system looks at the mind as sixteen parts. In the yogic understanding, there are 16 dimensions to the human mind. These 16 dimensions fall into four categories. These four categories are known as buddhi, manas, ahankara, and chitta. Buddhi is the intellect — the logical dimension of thought. Unfortunately, the modern education systems and modern sciences have largely limited themselves to buddhi. That is a buddhu (foolish) way of existence.
Buddhi — The Intellect
- In modern world, we are unnecessarily giving too much significance to Intellect and we will pay an enormous price for this.You will come to a place where you’ll know everything but you’ll know nothing of life significance,really. Today, you will see this happening to children.
- Buddhi or the intellect cannot function without a certain bank of memory or data. Depending on the data you have, the intellect plays around. Suppose in your memory system, there are 10 gigabytes of memory. Depending on how sharp your buddhi is, one person can produce, let’s say, a trillion thoughts with these 10 gigabytes. Someone else can produce 10 trillion thoughts with the same 10 gigabytes of memory.
- If you can think a little better than someone else, it is considered as intelligence today. If someone says one thing and you can say ten things to that, you may be socially smart, but you are not any more intelligent. Unfortunately, in today’s systems of education and academics, everything is determined by this. If you can make more things out of it, you are considered intelligent, which is not true — you only have a sharper buddhi. The buddhi will not take you beyond limits in any way, because it can only function based on the data that is already there. It is not capable of accessing anything beyond that.
- For the first time, this generation you see ten, eleven-year-old or twelve-year-old children, they look bored. When you were ten-eleven, you did not what is boredom, it was not possible. It was too exciting to be alive and looking around. You will see ten, twelve-year-old children, all looking bored because they’ve seen the cosmos through their phone screen. They know it all and especially in the western countries, you will see this happening at eight-ten,they are really bored. You will see in the school buses, they are all sitting like this,bored,because by the time you are twelve, you already had one love affair,you know what is a break,you know how to… all this recover from that,you tasted alcohol,you’ve seen this,probably you’ve gone into all kinds of physical things and you know the cosmos. What more? By the time you’re fifteen, there’s really no purpose for you to exist, for many of them. You should not be surprised, if this culture continues another fifty or hundred years’ time, if twenty-five to fifty percent of the people commit suicide, you should not be surprised because life needs some exuberance. If too much information happens to you without experience, that exuberance will be gone and a sense of… false sense of knowing becomes so strong in you. This is the danger of intellect because intellects wants to intellect wants to dissect everything. Intellect is like a scalpel — the sharper it is, the better it is. It wants to dissect and know. Dissection works with some things, not with all aspects of life. If you want to know… The poor frog, you know,you remember, the poor frog that you crucified and cut and great knowledge you acquired from all that torture is unbelievable . How much knowledge you knowFor the torture that that frog went through,how much knowledge you have acquired is quite unbelievable. All that you got to know. Now you’ve got interest… suddenly you got interested,the mother that you had ignored, you want to know your mother today. Please get yourself a sharp knife,start the dissection. You may know everything about her liver, kidney, heartbut you won’t have a mother left, that’s all. So, life cannot be known by breaking it up. You can know physical things by breaking it up. You cannot know life by breaking it into piecesbut this is the nature of the intellect. The whole modern science has evolved from human intellect. Because it’s produced technological benefits,you can’t argue against itbecause people, you know, they… they think they are scientists, they know nothing about science. They’re just enjoying their iPhone. They think they are scientists because they can do this. No, technology is fine, it’s brought much comfort and conveniencebut it’ll not bring life to us. So, intellect is like this.Intellect will be useful only depending upon what it is identified withand what is held, what holds this, how steadily. So, the next dimension of the mindThe first one is called as buddhi, which is the intellect.
Manas — A Huge Silo of Memory
- The next dimension is called manas. Manas has many layers to it. But manas is not just the brain — it is right across the body. Every cell in the body has a phenomenal memory — not just of this life but of millions of years. Your body clearly remembers how your forefathers were a million years ago. Top to bottom, there is manas — this is called manomaya kosha. In every cell in the body, there is memory and intelligence, but no intellect. Intellect is only in the brain.
- In English language, everything comes under one banner called “mind.” The idea that intelligence is only in the brain has produced human beings whose consciousness is seriously constipated. What is in the brain is intellect, not intelligence. Intelligence and memory are right across your body. But people have never been trained how to use this intelligence. Instead, they use their intellect for everything. No wonder they are stressed out whatever job you give them. The whole weight is on only one dimension of the mind out of sixteen. It is like loading a sixteen-wheeler truck and trying to drive on only one wheel — you can imagine the stress! That is what today’s world is going through.
- People may be using other dimensions of the mind marginally, unconsciously, but they are not trained to use them. They have only been trained to use their buddhi, or their intellect. They are very smart. They know everything about everything, but they do not know how to figure their own life. They do not even know how to sit here peacefully and at total ease within themselves. If there is true intelligence, the first thing that you need to figure out is how to make life happen. You know how to make the world happen, but you do not know how to make your life happen. You do not know how to conduct your mind, your energies, your emotions or your body.
- If you ask people to become fit, they become tight. If you ask them to live in a more natural way, they become fat. Where is the intelligence? There is only intellect. Intellect looks good only in comparison. Suppose you are the only person on the planet, your intellect will not mean anything. Only because there are a few idiots around you, you shine. By itself, intellect will not be of any consequence.
Ahankara — The Sense of Identity
- The intellect directly connects with the third dimension of your mind, called ahankara. Ahankara is sometimes translated as ego, but it is much more than that. Ahankara gives you a sense of identity. Once your ahankara takes on an identity, your intellect functions only in that context. It is important to function beyond the intellect, because the intellect is seriously enslaved to your identity.
- Our identities, such as belonging to a certain nation, community, or whatever else, are necessary for our survival in a particular society. But you cannot think beyond this because you are functioning only from your intellect, and the intellect takes its sustenance from ahankara. Only along the axis of ahankara, the intellect can function. The intellect cannot transcend this, because that is its nature. But there are other ways to know life beyond the identities we have taken on for our survival in the world.
- Ahankara does not mean ego, this, that,it means the identity. Whatever you’re identified with, your intellect functions only around that.Simple,if you just identify with a nation, if you say, “I’m an Indian,”everything Indian looks beautiful. If you cross the border and you say you are something else,all that looks beautiful. So, whatever you’re identified with, it’s only with that the intellect functions. So ahankara is the identity. How consciously and how steadily your ahankara has been createdwill determine the effectiveness of your intellect. Just because it’s sharp, it does not mean it’ll be effectivebecause sharp intellect or a sharp knife can cause any amount of damage to you. If you have a sharp knife and you don’t have a steady hand,you will cut yourself all over the place. That’s all that’s happening. Human suffering is just thisyou don’t know how to hold this intellect in your hand properly. Every day, you’re cutting yourself.Self… All suffering is on self-help because your own mind causing this to you all the time. No matter what happens, people suffer, whichever way, they suffer,because they don’t know how to hold this intellect. If you had the mind of an earthworm, you would be quite peaceful. You’re trying to do it in so many ways to reduce the sharpness of the intellectby drink, by drug, by overeating, by doing all kinds of things,somehow to take away the sharpnessbecause the damn thing hurts. It hurts not because that’s its nature,it hurts because you do not know how to hold it.
Chitta — The Cosmic Intelligence
- The fourth category of the mind is called chitta. Chitta is mind without memory — pure intelligence. This intelligence is like the cosmic intelligence — simply there. Everything happens because of that. It does not function out of memory — it simply functions. In a way, what you call cosmos is a living mind, not in the sense of intellect but in the sense of chitta. Chitta is the last point of the mind. It connects to the basis of creation within you. It connects you with your consciousness.
- Chitta is always on — whether you are awake or asleep. Your intellect comes on and goes off. Many times it fails, even when you are awake. If chitta or the intelligence within you was not always on, you could not stay alive. Try to conduct your breath with your intellect — you will go crazy. Chitta is keeping you alive, keeping you going, making life happen. If you touch this dimension of your mind, which is the linking point to one’s consciousness, you do not even have to wish for anything, you do not have to dream of anything — the best possible thing that can happen to you will anyway happen.
- Chitta means it’s pure intelligence. It is unsullied by memory,it has no trace of any kind of memory,it’s just pure intelligence.If you touch this, then you have access to what you are referring asthe source of creationbecause all kinds of things might have been fed to yougod is this, god is love, god is compassion, god is kind, what… whatever. Somebody come, stand on the edge of this stage, say all the prayer you want to say and fall.Let me see whether compassion happens to you or a cracked bone happens to you,I would like to check, all right?All these things have been made upbecause whatever somebody is deprived of,they will attribute that quality to their idea of god.Your ideas of god have come only becauseyou do not know what… how this whole creation happened.Because you don’t have an answer, you made it up.Because you are human being, you said,“A big human being is sitting up there. Oh, how can he do all this?”if somebody asked, he has ten hands,so he does lot of things not like you, whatever.It’s all right for childrenbut essentially, because you do not how creation happened,you are coming up with explanations.So, that which is the source of creationdon’t believe what I say, what anybody says -pay attention to one piece of creation.Just take a flower, pay attention to this,pay an attention to a leaf or an atom or an antall you will see is phenomenal intelligence beyond anything you can imagine.Yes?But nobody told you, “God is intelligence.”But this culture has said this to you in many ways -they told you chidhakasha, chidambara and so many things to tell you,if you touch your chit, the whole existence becomes yours.Everything that’s worth knowing is right here (Gestures)because you have access to the source of creation.So, these are the four types of your… four dimensions of your mind.Unfortunately, the modern education thinks by justfeeding information and keeping the intellect reasonably sharp, everything is going to happen. You will rip this planet apart looking for well-being,you may lose the planet or you may manage to go to another planet and start your work again there (Laughter)but well-being will not happen.If well-being has to happen, you have to dig a little deeper into this one (Referring to oneself),otherwise no.
The Divine Enslaved
- When people touch this dimension of the mind, it is called ishwara pranidhana in yoga. This means God becomes your slave — he works for you. You know, yogis say, “Shiva is my servant. He does everything for me.” In a way, otherwise, I would not be here. Once you know how to consciously access your chitta, everything that is needed will simply happen in the best possible way. If you go by your intellect or your buddhi, today you think “this is it,” tomorrow morning you think “that is it” — like this it goes on endlessly.
- Once you know how to consciously keep your chitta on, once the Divine is your servant, when someone really efficient is working for you, you do not have to do anything. Simply sit; the best things will happen — things that you could not imagine. People always think if their dreams come true, their life will be great. I think that is a very poor life, because you cannot dream about anything that is not at all in your experience. My wish and my blessing for you is things that you could not dream of, things that you never thought possible, must happen to you. What you did not dream must happen to you — that is why you should not dream.
- Instead of seeing how to delve deeper into yourself, you go on projecting stupid ideas into the world. People think that is a great thing to do. Last time when I was in the US, and someone said to me, “Sadhguru, how do you manifest all this?” I said, “I do not manifest anything. I am just fooling around. I got a very efficient partner [Shiva]. I simply leave it to him, and it happens.”
- Chit Shakti is about touching the dimension of your mind that is pure intelligence — unsullied by memory, unsullied by identification. It is beyond ahankara, beyond buddhi, beyond judgment, beyond divisions — simply there, just like the intelligence of existence that makes everything happen. If you access this, you do not have to worry about what happens or what does not happen. It will happen in a way that you never imagined possible.
- Once you have access to your chitta, it is also a multi-pointed telescope. It makes you see things that no one else can see — in every direction. It is your crystal ball. It is a magnifying glass that brings the very core of life close to you. For everyone else, it is far way. Everyone thinks the Divine is somewhere up there. Where exactly, no one knows. All they know is, it seems far away.
- The moment you start looking at life through your chitta, where there is no memory, there is no karmic substance and no division. Suddenly, the Divine is right there, bang on, in your face all the time. You cannot miss it.
- The idea of Chit Shakti is not to keep asking for things. The idea is that if the physical arrangements of life happen easily, you can dedicate more time for your spiritual wellbeing. It would be stupid if just because it happens easily, first you want to be a millionaire, then you want to be a billionaire. The main intention is that your physical life happens more easily, that it does not take your entire time to handle it, so that you will have time to close your eyes and sit. Please make use of it for this purpose.